So what is geocaching? Geocaching is a recreational activity that uses GPS coordinates posted on a website to find hidden objects.
What Do You Need To Get Started
To get started, you’ll need a GPS device, a location for a geocache, and a sense of adventure.
You can go to https://www.geocaching.com to create a free account, download the app, and find more than twenty adventures in Carrollton alone.
The video below is a great resource that explains how geocaching works
5 Reasons Why Your Child Should Try Geocaching
- Geocaching is like being on a real live treasure hunt! It provides an opportunity to become a real explorer.
- You’ll play with gadgets. The GPS itself is an instrument for learning more about longitude and latitude, and other cool things.
- You’ll explore with maps, and these maps are relevant to your everyday life because they’re in your community.
- You’ll find out who else has located the geocache treasure near your home, and you can add your name to the list of adventurers!
- It’s a great way to get outdoors and discover other parts of the Dallas–Fort Worth Metroplex, or even just a different part of Carrollton.
So, have some fun by downloading the app, heading outdoors, and searching for a geocache treasure near you!
Do you have questions about Geocaching? Leave them in the comment section below.
Written by Cynthia Bullmer